Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Favorite Loretta Chase Romance

I adore Loretta Chase's books and am waiting for Don't Tempt Me (out June 30) with bated breath. I will probably buy in eBook format Monday night so I don't have to wait until Tuesday to get my hands on a copy - that's how much I'm looking forward to it. Having said that, I have yet to read anything else by her that has supplanted Lord Perfect in my heart. I have read that book so many times, my poor little copy is all blotched and torn and almost in pieces.

If I had to pick the very one thing that made Lord Perfect so attractive to me, I'd choose the wit. Some of the exchanges between Bathsheba and Benedict still put a big dopey grin on my face - particularly when they try to assure each other that they find the other merely tolerable. All of Bathsheba's comments about her daughter, Olivia, are wonderfully wry. Sarcasm can be expected from all the major characters, in fact, which I find very appealing.

The book also doesn't suffer from a plot that includes runaway children, a road trip, wet bathing sex, and buried treasure. My only quibble is that my copy has the worst model on the cover - I usually just avert my eyes so I don't ruin my fun.

For the rest, my top 7 in the order that I love them:

Lord Perfect
Lord of Scoundrels
Miss Wonderful
The Last Hellion
Mr. Impossible
Your Scandalous Ways/Not Quite a Lady tie

No comments:

Post a Comment