Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why This Blog

I began reading romance novels in college when my roommate loaned me a Georgette Heyer book. Through the mists of time, I can no longer remember which one but it's nice to know I started with the best. We devoured Kathleen Woodiwiss (SEX) and Harlequins when we should have been studying for Western Civ exams. Those were the days - stretched out on our respective lumpy dorm mattresses, tossing comments about our current books back and forth knowing we had a book to swap when we finished. Bliss.

But then the bloom fell off the rose - after working through the good stuff, there really was very little high quality romance out there. I started reading other genres and never really dipped in the romance pool that much. Then, about three years ago, I picked up a Connie Brockway contemporary and got interested all over again. I've spent a great deal of time catching up and trying to find the Georgette Heyers and Kathleen Woodiwisses of today and learning who to avoid (there's unfortunately a lot of them).

I've had the urge now and again to keep a journal or some kind of record about my reading so that I can 1) keep track of what I've read so that I don't read or (horrors) buy it again; 2) get a warm glow from reminiscing about the good stuff'; and, 3) rant about some of the really atrocious romance conventions, cliches, etc.

I named my blog Flutter because that's what hearts do when they behold their loved one - not to mention all the eyelash fluttering going on. It just seemed appropriate

No comments:

Post a Comment